This week’s guest
Paul Grant is an experienced entrepreneur who founded and ran a London-wide catering business for corporate and retail markets for seven years and now assists many companies at early and growth stages. A former director of Capital Partners, heading up the business angel division, and more recently an associate director of BA Capital Ltd. and Bergstrom Capital, Paul is also the founder of The Funding Game workshop initiative which aims to offer entrepreneurs a clear understanding of how to get their businesses funded.
Throughout his career Paul has been a passionate advocate for the small business owner. Supported by a small London-based team, he offers a range of services to new companies, including investment, strategy and marketing advice. Paul is a frequent speaker on the subject of business funding at many public professional development events. He is based in London, England.
What we covered in the show:
We started out by talking about some of the big challenges micro businesses might face when looking for funding, including:
- Proof of concept
- Reducing risk for investors by having a strong sales pipeline
- Why building your own fan base is so important
- Why investors are always on the look out for a great deal
We moved on to:
- The 1st steps a micro entrepreneur should take
- Creating a Business Proposal in ‘investor language’
- Your 1 page Business Plan as a compelling marketing tool designed to get you a meeting
- Creating Pitch Decks
- Knowing your financials (P&L) and your 5 year forecast
- What return investors are looking for
- How to value your business and why you shouldn’t overvalue
- Tips on how to run a Crowdfunding campaign and the difference between shares and rewards sites
- The pitfalls of having family and friends as investors
- How to get credible feedback for your business idea
- Lean Start-ups, bootstrapping and the minimum viable product philosophy
- How to find your angel audience
- Using LinkedIn to build a list of potential investors
“Remember, investors are looking for that 1 deal that will out do all the others!”
About the Podcast
The Micro Entrepreneur Podcast is your place to come and hear me talk about all things business for the micro business owner. I speak with experts, authors and other micro business owners and what they are doing to build and grow a successful micro business.
Like the show? Please tell us on iTunes!
If you liked the show and found it valuable and you haven’t done so already I would really appreciate it if you took a minute to leave a quick rating or review of the podcast on iTunes by clicking on the link below! It will open up itunes on your computer and you can leave a rating by clicking on the ratings and reviews tab. It would be extremely helpful if you like the show!