Making a difference one girl at a time.
It’s a powerful message. It’s one that needs to be heard.
The Girl Effect went viral and spread across the internet at an amazing pace.
They spread their message through powerful videos that are able to move you and draw you into the story and they are creating action.
Power in simplicity
I was stunned by the power of this video and the simplicity of the idea.
By educating girls that live in poverty we can change the girls. It has managed to tap into my desire to make a difference and has given me a way in which I can do it.
What did they do right?
There is a lot we can learn from the way that this campaign has been run.
A lot of the techniques that have been used are ones that are accessible to all of us, so here is my quick run down of what they did right.
1. Created a compelling story. They broke through all the clutter and shared a story that we can relate to. They made us care.
2. Created a compelling video. It’s not enough to have the story, there are a lot of stories out there, a lot of heartbreak. It needs to be delivered in a way that is consumable, meaningful and powerful. Video is the most powerful medium that we have today to connect with people.
3. Made it personal. Rather than drowning us in statistics, they made it personal. Women can see themselves in this video and we want to help. We all remember what it was to be a 12-year-old girl on the brink of womanhood.
4. Showed us how WE can help. It’s one thing to observe this, it’s another to compel action. They started us thinking, what can we do to help that 12-year-old girl live a different life
5. Gave us a solution… that is manageable. 1 girl at a time. We can do that. 1 girl who can change a community. 1 girl can make a difference. 1 girl.
6. Made us want to find out more. After watching this video, I went on a journey across the web to see what other people were saying about it and was astounded at the number of blogs and stories that were being written about the girl effect cause.
Their website is full of statistics and information on how we can help.
Their videos share the stories of real girls that have made a difference and that want to make a difference in their communities
7. Encouraged us to share it. And people are.
Across the web more and more people are talking, writing and sharing the Girl Effect message. So, share the girl effect with other women who would follow and support this cause and make a difference.
When I started writing this article I had assumed that the girl effect was being driven by a small group of impassioned women who wanted to make a difference, but on a bit of investigation, I discovered that Nike and the NOVO foundation are behind this fantastic campaign.
Does it change the way I feel about the Girl Effect to know that a large organisation is behind the message?
Not one iota. In fact, I think it’s unlikely that the message would have had the spread that it has, without the marketing smarts and influence of one of the biggest consumer brands in the world.
Has it made me think differently about Nike?
This is Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in action and it is working. All of a sudden this behemoth of an organisation feels like it understands the world we live in. That tragedy exists. And it is doing something about it.
Even better, it is helping us to do something about it. Well done Nike, and thank you.
Visit the Girl Effect to find out more information and help us support their amazing cause.